Jer. 29:11-13
Safari Kubwa
The Ilceski's

Saturday, 1 October 2011

Octoburrrrrr in Cananda!

This morning when I woke up, I was checking facebook and noticed that a few friends and family had posted that it had snowed today in Canada!!! This is not surprising to say the least.

Growing up in a small town in Ontario, we got use to the idea that come October it meant winter was on its way.  This meant that it was time to "winterize" the cottage and the final weekend was spent at the lake (right around thanksgiving) until the spring months rolled around again, and the snow had melted!  (Usually the first 'swim' of the year is right around the time that the ice starts to melt, but still cold enough that you can't feel any part of your body when you get out (and you break the ice chunks as you try to swim!))

Octoburrrr in Canada Means:

* the bears prepare for hibernation and I wonder if this will be the year that I hit a deer with my car!
*You switch from AC/to heat all in one week.
*You get everything out for winter attire: including stocking up on plastic bags to line the inside of your winter boots so you don't get a soaker!!
*The snow tires come out.
*Half of the men go missing because hunting season has arrived
* Your Halloween costume is based solely around the premise of "will a snow suit fit under this?". Halloween in Cananda is less about the 'candy' and more about the prevention of frost bite.
*You start to see more 'snowmobiles' in the parking lot at school than cars.
* Snow days occur, but since there are more 'snowmobiles' in the parking lot than cars, this really is no excuse to miss class.

This is Octoburrrr in Canada!

So October 1st officially marks the first snow fall of the year...but we aren't in Cananda this year!  As I think about all our family and friends that are watching the beautiful snow fall, we are enjoying the amazing (almost summer-like) weather here in Newcastle. 

Girls on our Picnic in Jesmond Dene park (right by our flats)


Jules and Kimmy

I love this park!

Where's Waldo?

Isn't she gorgeous? Sorry boys, she's taken!

On the patio in October!


The three of us enjoying every minute of life in Newcastle!





4 comments:

  1. It was for sure cold here! I got the gloves and the scarf out today!
    Brrrrr.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is testing a post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! That is SO crazy to me about the stuff you do for winter in Canada and Snowmobiles?! What the heck! If we could ride tubes on a lazy river to school we would have. And yes she is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw you guys are sweet, I loved that day! So fun!

    ReplyDelete