Jer. 29:11-13
Safari Kubwa
The Ilceski's

Saturday, 6 October 2012

Cuckoo for Coconuts!


Let me set the scene....

It's saturday morning and I have headed out to do our grocery shopping for the week.  Now groceries here are not a one stop shop, there are two main grocery stores on the island (IGA and Foodfair) and every week I find myself going back and forth trying to see whether the ingredients that I need will be at either store; picture some what of a scavenger hunt...but just not as fun lol.

Here is photo evidence from this week at store number one:
Trying to find Ricotta cheese. Was informed that the 'dairy' shipment wouldn't be in for another 4 days. TIG (This is Grenada).

So I get the items I can find at store number one and make my way back to store number two. (Store number two is right at the end of our driveway, but I always go to the farthest store first so I don't have to carry everything back and forth...I know, I have this down to science lol).

Now here lies the 'coconut issue'.

Being on the island has it's perks. One of those said perks is that at almost any corner, at almost any time of day, you can find almost any fruit or spice of your pleasure.

However,  here is the not so good equation:

Nicci + Cute Kid = Disaster.

On these said corners, are the cutest kids selling all kinds of goods.  It is nearly impossible to say no to them. I truly find it heart-wrenching knowing, that in some cases, these children cannot go home until they have sold all their product.  I look at these little faces and just cannot image the position they are in. 

The truth of the matter is, I think I did show some restraint on Saturday....Dave is lucky we aren't eating coconuts for the rest of the week!!!

I will try to remember that I cannot buy every piece of fruit, from every child that I see. But the fun part, we're trying new fruit and spices that I otherwise wouldn't have purchased at the store.

So really, we should be thanking these cute children, with their buckets of fruit, because in my mind they are just expanding our palate.

You cannot see it, but Dave has a large knife in his hand...after the purchase Dave said  "how are we going to get this opened?"
Knife attempt....it didn't go so well. 
Hammer attempt! And we were successful.

Cracking open the coconut
I have always wanted to drink, from a straw, coconut milk. It wasn't that great lol.
Dave was thinking..."Do you know how much bacteria is probably in this thing". This is what Medical School has done!

 
So fresh!
So proud of himself for not losing a finger in the process!



No comments:

Post a Comment