Jer. 29:11-13
Safari Kubwa
The Ilceski's

Thursday, 16 February 2012

Hadrian's Wall: Photo overload!

There is an endless of things to see when you live in England. It feels as though that at any moment you can just board a plane and basically head anywhere (hot or cold) for the weekend, at a decent price; we have learned that MANY people do this all the time. However, one of the most spectatular things about living in Newcastle, England is that there is so much vast history to be seen; in some  cases literally in our own backyards!

One of the things we just had to see while our friends were here over the holidays was to locate part of Hadrian's Wall and to see it for ourselves. As a teacher I find it is necesarry to not only talk about something, but to truly try to experience as well; I believe that is how we all learn best, through experience.

So after much deliberation, and me having a few panic attacks lol, we all decided to just rent a car and make an adventure out of this experience (again I will emphasis that I was not really up for this at first, but I figured since Emily was telling me it would be fine, I would succumb to peer pressure lol).

Awaiting our Chariot!! They were all a little more adventurous than I was.

We did get a GPS however!

The time waiting we were praying for a big enough car for us to all fit in, while at the same time wanting a small car that would fit on the roads in England!

YAH Cisco!!!!

This is my "I am terrified but I will pretend to be having fun" face!

This is really how I felt lol!!! I think Jay was ready for a nap!!!


So our adventure began and I must say that Cisco and Dave made a great team (while I slept in the backseat so that I would not throw up on anyone lol). It was about an hour or so drive, but it was certainly worth it! A brief history: Hadiran's Wall is literally a wall that began being built in 122 AD as ordered by the Roman Emperor Hadrian. The wall took about 8 years to finish, and it's main purpose to was to "Keep the Brits in and the Scots out"!!!  The wall itself is now a historical site, and has been regarded as one of the greatest structures that the Romans created...its length, width, and span alone are astonishing. But the depth of it's structure, the detail and the skill that went into creating this wall has continued to protected a country for thousands of years, long after it's intended purpose!!!

Part of Hadrian's Wall at the top of the ridge...we had to walk all the way around to get to it!

Jason checking the warnings and site information!



Sheeps everywhere!

Loved this tree!

A long, muddy trek.


The sheep that almost killed me! (Ok, that's being over dramatic, but I did run away very quickly when Cisco informed me it was giving me the stare down).







After looking at this view, we realized why the Romans built the wall here. You can see for miles!




Walking along Hadrian's Wall.


What you don't see is the sheet of ice covering that little lake...it was freezing!!! And the target for the boys rocks!

Boys will be boys!

Checking out one of the remaining Turrets along the wall.


If you look closely, you will find Dave in between the trees. He had to see EVERYTHING!!!




You can just see us walking along the ridge!



Our Picnic Lunch On Hadrian's Wall



It was a breath taking view! (Those little black things are us..Emily stayed back to get some great photos).


As tour guide Cisco mentioned "always start your trip on a high point and end your trip on a high point"...it certainly was a great way to end our 10 day holiday together in England!

1 comment:

  1. It was so fun! I'm grateful for the memories we were able to create with you!

    ReplyDelete