Jer. 29:11-13
Safari Kubwa
The Ilceski's

Wednesday, 11 December 2013

It takes a Village!

* I think it is fitting that as I finally sit to write/post about our baby showers, I can't help but realize we only have one month left (ONE FREAKING MONTH) until Cocoa's estimated time of arrival; January 11th is coming quickly, and although many people have said the first baby likes to take their time in making their appearance...I have a feeling (maybe more of a hope lol) that Cocoa will be here before January 11th. I guess we will just have to wait and see.... 30 days and counting!!!! EKKKK


There is an African proverb that states: It takes a village to raise a child.   And let me tell you...I have never believed in this saying more than in the last few months.

Part of the journey that Dave and I have been on, throughout the medical school process, has been moving to various places, or 'villages' and making those spots our temporary home...in the last 4 years we have moved more than 5 times and we have left a piece of our hearts in each 'village'.   We have been so overwhelmed with the amount of love and support we have been blessed with from each 'village', by different people, through various acts of kindness; our villages have come together and blessed us in ways we never dreamt of!!   We know that without the love and support of so many, this next chapter in our lives simply wouldn't be possible; to all of those who have gone above and beyond (and there are countless people) THANK YOU!

Village 1:
Muskoka/Mahon Family

At the end of October, my mom and sister threw our first shower with family and close friends. My Mom, Sister and my Aunt Annie did such a great job of planning and organizing our shower (Of course a jungle theme) and we were blessed with wonderful gifts, love and support from so many!  With us being gone and living so far from relatives, it was great to get together with everyone and just catch up...we miss everyone so much!!!




Boy or Girl??? Cutest little cupcakes!

Opening my gift from my Aunt Cyndie and Aunt Shelly, who couldn't make it!
My Aunt Paulette made a cute blanket for Cocoa!
Some cute little sleepers!! From my Aunt Carol and Cousin Vanessa (who will be having twins in may!!! ekkk cannot wait)
My gorgeous Sister, Nancy and I

Mom, myself and Nancy!!!

Mom, Sister and Auntie!!!
Grammy and Nana to be!!!!

Thank you Mom, Nancy and Annie for such a great shower! And to all our family that was such a huge part of the day, thank you! We were so blessed and cannot wait for Cocoa to use all the new 'toys' hahah! I think I am going to have way too much fun trying everything out!!!  We honestly couldn't do this without all of your love and support!!!

Village 2:
Windsor/Ilceski Family

Only one week later Dave's mom and sister threw us a shower in Windsor with some of  our closest friends and family. I am not going to lie... I was a little overwhelmed for this one hahaha...I have never had a 'big' shower and there were over 50 people at this one. Friends from work and church, teachers college, family and close family friends were all in attendance!!!

 It was an amazing day to have some of our closest friends and family all in one place...Cocoa was certainly well loved that day!!! And Dave's mom and sister went above and beyond...they know how much I LOVE a theme and sticking with our nursery colours (grey and white and then adding either blue or pink once Cocoa arrives) they designed the shower around these colours!!! I LOVED IT!

Baby Ilceski: Coming Soon!
The cake was designed after the shower invite: Ten little fingers, Ten little toes. Boy or Girl, no one knows!!


Head Table!!
Prize Table!
Nana Ilceski's home made dressing and BBQ sauces...soooo good!



The amazing cake that Nana Ilceski made!!!


Loved all the details on the tables...every part was so us!!
On the way in, everyone guessed boy or girl!!!
Daddy and Nana! They were there early setting up!




Daddy even had gifts planned and was getting them ready to surprise us!

Getting to the shower and taking pictures by our cake!
My dear friend Amanda!
Lovely friends that work with Nana!
 My dear friend Fawne and her Mama, Donna!
Our personal Ultrasound Technician! She had to guess we were having 'boy and girl' because she actually knows lol!

Amanda (friend from Teachers College and Teaching buddy in England) Suzy (My amazing sister) Jackie (Newest Mommy and our cousin) and Pam (My best friend who surprised me at the shower)

Nyah (My favourite little girl and big helper at the shower)
Not only did Pam and Nyah surprise us all at the shower, but they bought us our 'Petunia Pickle Bottom' Diaper bag...I don't think I would have made it through these last few years of Medical School (and being so far away from everyone) without her!!!
Julie Connolly...our friends Crocheted us a Micky outfit! I thought of you!!
Our two present organizers: Gracie and Nyah
This is my "This is adorable" face

Nana Ilceski made Cocoa a set of scrubs...with name badge and all!
My lovely friend Katie had this 'mobile' on top of their gift...Elephants and Zebras she picked up while in Tanzania!!!
This is right before the ugly cry came...
While living in Grenada we met some amazing friends and a few of the girls that I spent a lot of time with sent Cocoa and I an amazing gift. These girls know our story, and shared in the many emotional moments, in Grenada, when finding out we were pregnant. The sent a necklace that has the verse Psalm 139 on it  "Fearfully and wonderfully made"!! You girls are amazing and I so wished you could have been here...but you were here in spirit!!!!

Dr. Daddy came to be the official belly measurer (haha not a word)!!
And Daddy also brought us a special gift. When we got married, instead of a lighting a candle we poured two different shades of sand into one vase (the light coloured sand in the middle). When Cocoa arrives, Daddy bought pink and blue sand and we will add the appropriate colour to our vase...see the colours and sand grow, as our family grows! My husband is amazing!!!

Everyone who thinks boy!!!
Everyone who thinks girl
Suzy, Dave and myself with Dave and Suzy's Baba...soon to be 'PraBaba' (Great Grandma).
Thank you to Nana Ilceski and Suzy for such an amazing shower. I know they spent months (literally) planning all the details, and it was PERFECT! To all our family and friends who made this day so special, THANK YOU!  We are truly blessed to have you all apart of our story and we cannot wait for Cocoa to meet all of you...soon!!!

Village 3:
St.Catharines/Central Family

Dave and I met while attending Bible College in St.Catharines and it is still a place we call home; it may never be our permanent home, but it will always have a special place in our hearts.

All of us have that one go-to girl friend that we simply couldn't live without...in the last few years, through our many travels and especially the struggles and hurdles along the way, I would have never survived without Pam! Her and her family have been such an incredible blessing in our lives and she certainly knows me and my heart....a 'Baby it's Cold Outside' shower was the perfect excuse to celebrate Cocoa!

At the end of November Pam and Stacy (another amazing friend) threw a shower for us at Pam's home in St.Catharines.   It was amazing to see some dear friends, many whom we haven't seen since being home, and just spend some time altogether...we really do miss life there. 

Snack table!



Baby It's Cold Outside Theme

Miss Nyah getting the 'Hot Chocolate Bar' open!
Hot Chocolate Bar or the "Hot Cocoa Bar'!!!


Instead of a card, everyone brought books!! LOVED IT!





Stacy got us a 'Cinco de Mayo' book. We found out on May 5th (Cinco de Mayo) that we were expecting!!!

Most caring and thoughtful friend in the world!

Giraffe for Cocoa's Nursery!
Nana Ilceski, Marvin (although we have changed his name to Wilbur..Daddy's thought haha) and I
An amazing woman, Karen, that I am beyond thankful was put into my life!
All of the ladies!!!
This is how we got Wilbur home lol!!!

Thank you to Pam and Stacy for throwing such an incredible shower! And a big shout out to Corrie for all the amazing details and making the invites....they were incredible. To all our friends that came and again showered us with love, we are beyond blessed to have you all in our life! Thank you for everything you do and for always believing in our crazy God dreams!

To everyone who has blessed us beyond words...THANK YOU FOR BEING OUR VILLAGE! 

1 comment: